The primary purpose of the Soggy Bottom Cardboard Box Boat Regatta is to have fun while raising awareness and funds for Youngtown Rotary projects.
All boats are to be made entirely of cardboard and will race around a course at
Waverley Lake Park on Sunday 3th March 2019.
Race Day Schedule
1 Boats Check in: 9:00am – 10:30am
2 Captain/Crew safety briefing: 10:45am
3 People’s Choice Awards Judging from 10:30am|
4 First race 11:00am
1 Boat design and construction regulations:
1. Boats should be made BEFORE THE RACE.
2. Boats must be made ONLY of cardboard and duct tape.
3. Cardboard cannot be sealed with any paint or sealants.
4. Duct tape may be of varying colours for creativity but must have come manufactured in said colour.
5. Boats may be a maximum width of 1.5m and a maximum length of 2.5m.
6. There is no maximum height requirement.
7. Boats must be propelled by the use of paddle and/or hands.
8. Non cardboard paddles are allowed.
9. If any illegal items used in construction or discovered during the pre – or post –race inspection, the boat will be disqualified.
2 Race Format
1. Boats will need to be designed to carry a minimum of two individuals and allow for easy crew transition.
2. All crew must be registered and signed in before safety briefing at 10:45am.
3. Each person will need to be equipped with a PFD (Personal Flotation Device). (not supplied)
4. Teams consist of 2 or more individuals.
5. Teams will start in the starting location and will navigate the course returning to the start.
6. The race must begin and end with the full crew.
7. Swimming with and/or pulling the boat is allowed.
8. Interfering with or the use of the dock or other boats will result in disqualification.
9. Heats will consist of, at most, 4 boats at a time
10. Time from heats will determine placement for finals. The fastest 4 times from heats will race for the Division Champion.
3. Boat Judging
1. Boats will be judged on their creativity as part of the pre – race activities.
2. Teams should be prepared to “show – off” their work upon the start of the judging @ 10am
3. Categories for judging include:
a. Most creative
b. Team spirit
c. Team uniform
d. Design of your space (marquee erected, activities happening around your boat etc.)
1. Display boats only.
2. May use other materials in construction but are not permitted to enter the water or compete in water-based races.
3. May compete in any onshore activity.
4. Eligible for judging in any non-water related award.
****Any rule not specifically covered will be left to the discretion of the race scrutineer ****
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY ANY DESIGN OR RACE RULE OR THE DIRECTION OF A RACE OFFICIAL SHALL BE CAUSE FOR DISQUALIFICATION. THE JUDGES’ DECISION SHALL BE FINAL.
Divisions: (participants need to meet any two of the criteria)
12 years of age and under
Sponsored by a rotary club o School /club/organisation entry / Individual entry
13 – 17 years of age
Sponsored by a Rotary Club / School /club/organisation entry
Division 3 – 18 and Over
Division 4 – Parent/s and children combined
Open Class – open to all legal cardboard boats. Race distance is doubled.
Open Illegal* – Open to any boat that doesn’t meet the above rules
Division 5 – 12 years and under
Division 6 – 13 -17 years of age
Division 7 – 18 and over
Survivors Race* – Open to all boats who have lasted the day
N.B. The eldest person in the boat determines the Division
Please note. There are some non-negotiable rules:
EACH PERSON IN THE BOAT MUST WEAR A PFD (Personal Flotation Device),
ANYONE WHO IS BEHAVING INAPPROPRIATELY OR IS THOUGHT COULD CAUSE HARM TO OTHERS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND REMOVED FROM THE WATER.
These two rules relate to all divisions.
PLEASE DO NOT USE:
- Paint, varnish or glues – other than for small decoration (not for waterproofing),
- Waxed or coated cardboard,
- Duct tape, or any water resistant material to fully cover or assist in keeping water out of your boat. Duct tape may be used only at the seams and stress points on all boats,
- Nuts, bolts, screws, washers, staples or any kind of metal fastening.
- Early bird registration
- Rubber ducky award – Tried hard all day, but
- Titanic award – if you are going down, do it in style. Enthusiasm wins.
- Best Design – as voted by spectators
- Most Outrageous team
- Best Team Spirit (i.e.: costumes of crew and pit crew and overall excitement)
- Most Artistic – Within the rules and outside
- Best Boat Name
- Largest Crew – Must all be in the boat and all complete their race
- The Viking Cup – Fastest time all day
- Division 1 champion
- Division 2 champion
- Division 3 champion
- Division 4 champion (adult and child)
- Open Class champion
- Open Illegal – Division 5 champion*
- Division 6 champion*
- Division 7 champion*
*Please note that ALL boats are welcome to compete, but in fairness to those who have followed the ‘rules’ the awarding of prizes is not possible. All eligible entries will be given an official number by the race scrutineers
Download and Print Official rules 2019